Food, paper, packaging, plastics, fabrics and pets are everyday things you’ll find in a home and provide a perfect harbourage and meal for cockroaches. An ideal breeding ground for a cockroach is around food, water and shelter. Unfortunately, cracks, crevices, vents, sewers and drain pipes makes this entry easy for cockroaches to crawl their way into your homes.
Discovering a cockroach infestation requires immediate action to ensure a fast solution to the problem and to minimise the health risks associated with this pest. Many homeowners struggle with DIY cockroach control remedies and the results are often less than satisfactory. The health hazards associated with disease-spreading cockroaches are a real concern and to reduce the risk of re-infestation and guarantee a long term solution, it is recommended that professional prevention methods are made.
Prevent cockroaches in your home
Simple things such as keeping doors and windows shut and keeping your home clean and tidy can make a huge difference. Four key ways to prevent an infestation include:
- Eliminate food sources
Cockroach problem signs
To help identify a possible cockroach infestation that requires professional treatment, keep an eye out for the following:
- Cockroach droppings: they leave <1mm wide black droppings and of varying lengths.
- Smear marks: these can be found at wall-floor junctions or on horizontal surfaces where cockroaches are most active. If water is present, cockroaches will produce irregular shaped and brown smear marks.
- Shed skin: where you suspect they are sheltering, they may leave behind this evidence.
- Damage:cockroaches will attack any organic good (this includes leather and books). Search for unusual damage signs, not just on food packaging.
- Unusual odour: an unpleasant musty smell may linger an established cockroach infestation tainting items they contact.
- Live cockroaches: in your kitchens and bathrooms – German cockroaches need humidity and warmth and may be discovered in kitchen, laundry rooms and bathrooms areas. They are very good climbers and can scale smooth surfaces like polished metal and glass with ease as they have sticky pads on their feet. You may spot them when turning on a light in these areas at night.
Have you spotted cockroach eggs or droppings?
Cockroaches’ ability to breed rapidly and their resilience to DIY methods make a professional service the most reliable form of control. Chat with a professional pest control expert that can suggest solutions powerful enough to eliminate all stages of a cockroaches’ lifecycle.