TermitesÂ are mother natureâ€™s little recyclers and can be found be found in many tropical, subtropical and temperate zones of the world. They are â€˜bigâ€™ in the world of pest control and there are so many of them, it is difficult to keep up.
So, here we have put a few interesting NUMBERS together to try and understand this most structurally damaging of pests.
- 2 is for the types of homes that exist in Australia â€“ those that have termites and those that do not.
- 300+ is for the number of termite species found Down Under.
- 1million is the number of members within some subterranean termiteÂ colonies.
- 25 is the overall percentage (%) by which termite damage can devalue a home.
- 2mm is the size of gap or crack a subterranean termite can pass through.
- 3 is for the number of castes within most termite species: the reproductives, the soldiers and the workers.
- 100million is the cost in Australian dollars of damage caused by termitesÂ to properties in one year.
- 4.0 â€“ 6.5mm is the length of a Coptotermes species soldier, the most widespread and damaging genus of termite across Australia
- 365 is the number of days that termites are active in a year â€“ this is not a seasonal pest!
Share some more of your termite numbers with us!